Saturday, September 3, 2016

IBS 08-30-16 Luke 17:7-10 (NIV)


"Suppose one of you has a Servant plowing or looking after sheep. Will he say to the Servant when he comes in from the field, 'Come along now and sit down to eat'? Won't he rather say, 'Prepare my supper, get yourself ready and wait on me while I eat and drink; after that you may eat and drink'? Will he thank the servant because he did what he was told to do? So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty'."
This verse has the qualities of a good servant in that he serves with the right heart as well as the humbleness he possesses. First off the servant doesn't work for anything in return for his labor, simply because he's a servant. Aren't I called to be a bond servant unto the Lord? Yes, but what does that mean about my character and my state of mind? That whatever I do, whenever I do it, I do it for the glory of God. That's my purpose in serving Him. Sometimes I do serve God, but I don't have the right heart. I can help set up for chapel and whatnot but and I doing it for my pride or because I want to serve Jesus? The second part is the humility that this servant has. He doesn't do work then reflect what he has done. Instead he rightly says, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty'. That's the real heart of a slave. A bondservant. He just wanted to reflect the glory to somewhere else. Where am I putting the glory I gain? And I giving it to the Lord as an offering? Today I will pray for humbleness when I serve in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment