Saturday, September 3, 2016

IBS 08-29-16 John 12:26 (NASB)

"If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My Servant will be also; if anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him."
This verse is broken up into three parts. The first is serving Jesus. It's really plain and simple. If we serve Jesus we must follow Him. What does it mean to follow Him? The Bible says in Mathew 16:24-26, "Then Jesus said to His disciples, 'If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?" The middle part is intimate with the Lord. I love my family, therefore it's natural that I want to be with them. The team members I have on my team are so close and dear to my heart I just want to spend as much time with them as possible. I love them, and I'd easily give up an arm or a leg for them. To me they are precious. I enjoy spending fellowship with them, but I wouldn't if I didn't feel the way about them as I do. When ideal close to God and I start serving Him more and more, I want to follow closer to Him than I ever did. Song of Solomon 1:13 says, 'My beloved is to me like a bag of myrrh that lies in my bosom.' (Amplified Bible) Although this verse speaks of a woman's emotion to a man, this book is an allegory of Christy love for us. I thought it fitting because at that time women might sleep with a bag of myrrh in their bosom and the oils in it would seep into their skin. The next day they would carry that sent with them. When I and with Jesus and spent time with Him I will start to reflect Him. That's what walking close to Jesus looks like. The last part is beautiful. If anyone serves Jesus the Father will honor him. It's safe to say that we all want God to bless us. But how do we do that? First we need to follow Him. But we must also have a righteous heart. Why was David known as a man after Gods own heart? Because he repented to the Lord when he did what was wrong. He turned around when he knew he was wrong and sinning. When he messed up he asked for forgiveness and then worshiped God. That was a life worth honoring. What am I doing today? For an application I will seek Jesus today during On the Mount, and asked for His guidance for preparing for field time.

No comments:

Post a Comment