Saturday, August 20, 2016

IBS 08-09-16 1 Timothy 6:6-8 (KJV)

"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content."
We can all be godly. But godliness with contentment is so much deeper and more profound than what we think. For example I can be godly by obeying my parents. When I am content to obey I'm not only showing godliness, but I'm showing more of the heart of Jesus. Jesus could have complained on the way to the cross, and still died while hanging on that tree; but it was Jesus, my Lord, that said 'Father forgive them for they know not what they do'. If Jesus was content to hang on a cross to save me from my sins, why can't I be content when I practice godliness? Verse seven teaches the truth of our power. In and of ourselves we are powerless, we have no strength, and we can't create anything. All that we have made came out of already created products. On the flip side all we destroy just turns into material that is still there. One thing I love to think about is that it was from God that we received our salvation. We couldn't gain salvation by our deeds or our sacrifices. Jesus gave it. He was the lamb whom came to taketh away the sins of the world. Without His shedding of the blood we'd be hopeless. He is source of our faith. And it's the Father who decides when to take us home. He only has the authority to take us out. The Bible says that God takes care of the birds of the air, the lilies of the field, and it says that God cares for us so much more than they. But when will we truly believe that? When Jesus answers our prayers? Or when we are tight and struggling with our faith? If we can't be content with all the blessings we have been given, will we be content with all He has in store for us? Today for an application I will pray and bless the Lord for my field assignment and be thankful and pray for the area I'm going to.
The Book of Common Prayer reads, "O Heavenly Father, who hast filled the world with beauty: Open our eyes to behold Thy gracious hand in all Thy works; that, rejoicing in Thy whole creation, we may learn to serve Thee with gladness; for the sake of Him through whom all things were made, Thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment